I do some freelance work for my local newspaper and occasionally have to interview people for the articles I write. When quoting someone for print, it is extremely important that I get every single word correct otherwise I can potentially open the paper -- and myself -- up to a lawsuit. When I first started, I recorded interviewees on my iPod. It didn't take long, however, to realize how totally unprofessional that looked. So I decided to get a dedicated Olympus audio recorder instead. After several months of using my new device, I'm convinced I made the right decision.
In hindsight, there were a few different reasons that buying an Olympus audio recorder was a smart move. First, as I said, it simply looks more professional to use this device than to shove a music player in front of someone's face. When I used to bring my iPod to interviews, the other person sometimes thought I was planning on listening to music or watching a video clip. I would then have to explain about the recording function and say it was for the interview. Not that big a deal maybe, but it happened enough that it became bothersome. But nothing like that has occurred since I've been using my Olympus audio recorder. People take one look at it and know what it's for. Furthermore, it's the kind of tool they expect a reporter to carry, and they tend to take me more seriously when they see it.
Another reason I'm glad I purchased an Olympus audio recorder is that it is very easy to use. The operation buttons are big and clearly marked, which means I never have to fumble around to find "Record", "Pause", or "Play". Transferring voice files is a simple matter as well. I just plug my Olympus audio recorder into my laptop's USB port and begin the transfer. After that, I can listen to the files on my Windows media player and type out my quotes accurately and with confidence.
Finally, the Olympus audio recorder has all the functions I need to get my job done efficiently. It's voice activated, which conserves the battery power and ensures that I have enough juice to get through even the longest interviews, and I can even apply index markers to certain points to make it easier for me to go back and find the juicy quotes. That in itself saves a lot of time and makes the device worth its weight in gold. In addition, the gadget has a terrific file management system that allows me to separate my voice files into five different folders. I love being organized like that!
Anyway, I know do-it-all MP3 players are all the rage these days, but for people that need serious recording power and the features I described, nothing beats a dedicated Olympus audio recorder. Check one out for yourself today!
No comments:
Post a Comment